Avoid A Holiday Lockup
The holidays are the time for families, friends, great food, and comradery. Unfortunately, not everyone has the opportunity to enjoy these luxuries. Why? Sometimes, allegations of criminal activity interfere with the festivities.
Top Reasons for Arrests
Take this as a warning: arrests do not decline just because the holidays are ahead. Instead of getting stuck behind bars, you can enjoy the wonders of the season if you avoid getting arrested. Some of the reasons people get arrested during the holidays include:
- Drinking and Driving: We all know there are plenty of opportunities to party between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve. But getting a DUI is no way to enhance your holiday joy! If you’re stopped with a blood alcohol limit of .08 or higher, you’re pretty much guaranteed a night in jail, with a slew of additional penalties as a bonus. Assuming you don’t injure or kill anyone, it could be a fairly short stay, but the consequences will last long beyond the night of the arrest. So play it smart: don’t drink and drive!
- Domestic Violence: Financial strain, time with extended family, crowds everywhere you go— it can all get to be a bit frustrating. The stress of it all can lead to verbal– & sometimes even physical altercations among family members. What a way to ruin the holiday!
- Contraband at the Airport: With all the travel during the holidays, it makes sense that there will be more contraband going through airport scanners. Make sure you know the laws in any state you visit. While marijuana may be legal in one place, it could get you arrested in another. TSA doesn’t permit it at all. And guns are never allowed in carry-on luggage! So be careful what you pack!
- Porch Pirating: Online shopping increases exponentially during the holidays, and with it, the porch pirates are ever ready to steal, even during broad daylight. But getting caught is easier than ever with all the doorbell cameras out there, not to mention dummy packages that are used to bait thieves. So whatever you do, stay off of strangers’ porches!
- Shoplifting: People who try to boost their holiday haul without paying for the merchandise in their carts risk being seen by the many cameras around these days, not to mention undercover security personnel and others. Retail theft is a major problem during the holidays, and, in Nevada, it can result in significant jail time.
One Phone Call
If you’re behind bars, make your one phone call worthwhile. At Lobo Law, our experienced Las Vegas criminal defense attorneys will fight for the best possible outcomes for you—including trying to get you home for the holidays. Contact our office for a confidential consultation today.