Las Vegas Sexual Assault Lawyer
Sexual assault is a highly severe conviction in Nevada. If you are convicted of sexual assault, you face serious punishments including imprisonment for life. In addition, you will also be required to register on the sex offender list. Such a serious conviction can unable you from living a normal life and finding a job. Read the information below to learn more about sexual assault, its penalties and its defense, contact our experienced Las Vegas sexual assault lawyer.
What constitutes sexual assault?
NRS 200.366 defines sexual assault as anyone who “subjects another person to sexual penetration, or forces another person to make a sexual penetration on himself or herself or another, or on a beast, against the will of the victim or under conditions in which the perpetrator knows or should know that the victim is mentally or physically incapable of resisting or understanding the nature of his or her conduct…” In simpler terms, sexual assault is defined as any act in which a person forces another person to have sex with him/her or another person. An individual can be convicted of sexual assault if he/she:
- Forced someone against their will to have sex; and/or
- Had sex with someone who he/she knew was mentally and physically incapable of resisting the conduct.
Penalties and punishments for sexual assault charges in Las Vegas:
If the victim sustains substantial bodily harm, you are guilty of a category A felony and shall be punished:
- Imprisonment for life without possibility of parole; or
- Imprisonment for life with the possibility of parole beginning when a minimum of 15 years have been served.
If the victim does not sustain substantial bodily harm, you are guilty of a category A felony and shall be punished:
- Imprisonment for life with possibility of parole when a minimum of 10 years have been served.
Defenses to sexual assault charges in Nevada:
- Consent. Because one of the elements to sexual assault is that that the person must have been forced against his/her will to have sex, if the victim consented, this is not sexual assault.
- False allegations. Under certain circumstances, victims will falsely accuse the individual of sexually assaulting him/her due to jealousy, anger or even revenge.
Sexual assault charges are extremely serious and require an experienced Las Vegas criminal defense lawyer to handle the case. If you or anyone you know has been charged with sexual assault, it is important that you contact a qualified attorney who can get you the results you deserve. Contact Adrian Lobo today at 702-290-8998 to schedule a consultation.